Re: [orca-list] Firefox, text editors and Orca support

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 08:58:14PM +1000, Jason White wrote:
The subject line of this post may be misleading. Here's the question: suppose
I am using Firefox and I need to write and edit more than a line of text in a
form field. I need a good text editor for this, such as Emacs or Vim.

Indeed.

Is there a way to achieve this from within Firefox, such that the editor
itself will be accessible throughout? In console-based Web browsers there is
usually a command to invoke a text editor on the current form field, and of

That is a nice thing about the cli I guess. Had a quick google,

http://emacs.wordpress.com/2007/02/23/emacs-friendly-firefox/

It seems dated, and I haven't tried this, perhaps it's irrelevant.

course, those of us who like Emacs appreciate the fact that it is possible to
browse the Web from within Emacs.

How well does that work? Any better than just lynx/brltty? Tell me off
list if it's OT.

Another possibility, for Vi and Vim users, is Vimperator
(http://www.vimperator.org/) which actually replaces the entire Firefox user
interface with a Vi-style interface. It would be a great project for someone

Have you looked into conkeror?

I am comfortable with both Emacs and Vim, so a solution with either would
address my problems. I am well aware, of course, that I could invoke a

I'm interested in this thread as well.

I wasn't sure whether this belonged on mozilla-accessibility or orca-list,
since the nub of it is really an accessibility question, about whether there
is a solution that is accessible with Orca today.

Perhaps a general one as launching something like:
emacs from firefox isn't really accessibility, if you give the -nw
switch...?

Actually I take that back, you need a way of launching gnome-terminal
then the program eg. emacs. Sorry.

So yes, this is most likeley the list for that unless you want to ask
somewhere else to figure out where this setting is in ff, then you could
look at writing a script to handle this, if it wasn't so easy... :)

Daniel.