Re: [orca-list] ssh (x11)

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:01:07AM +0200, Bohdan R. Rau wrote:
Doesn't work! Which kinda makes sense, I guess you need orca running on
client and server. I have orca running in the shell I was typing this
from. So is there a certain way to get this to work? Or is it not yet
possible for us to access x11 over ssh?

Probably it's not possible, but there is very easy way to edit files on
distant host.

Well yes, and I tend to prefer the cli for all of this, so it doesn't really
bother me. Curiosity more than anything. ssh command line works fine
along with scp, and nfs shares. Of course I can use a text mode editor
such as emacs to edit stuff, so the gedit was just an example.

At first, use gnome menu "places" - "connect to server" (or something
similar, I have Polish version of Gnome). Select ssh as method, if you need
you can create shortcut. After then run gedit locally, select "open" from
menu, go to "places" (Alt-P in English locale) and use arrow keys to find
your shortcut. You will be able to select and edit files on distant host

Not quite the point, the point was to try and get a program to run
remotely and work with speech/braille... This works for anything console
based, but obviously not gui unless someone replies otherwise.

Thx

Daniel.