Re: [orca-list] need some review on orca with debian.

hi,
On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 16:25 +1100, Jason White wrote:
Krishnakant <hackingkk gmail com> wrote:

But all in all, I want to know if some one on the list is successfully
running orca with debian?

Yes.

Does this work out-of-the-box?
I have off late herd that debian and orca had some problems?
What version of  orca is packed with the latest debian 5 distro?

In the Unstable repository we have 2.24.4.

ah, that means, I will have to use the unstable repo.

So are there any more problems sighted by others in this regard?
I am thinking of installing debian on a couple of machines because it is
known to be rock solid and these machines are supposed to go to some
rural parts of india where technical support is not available.

Infact I am lonching a major campaign in the western states of
Maharashtra and Madhya pradesh of India to wipe out all proprietory
stuff and give the blind people the best thing they can use which is
beyond all doubts orca.
This project would involve more than 3000 computers which will be
installed in high schools and offices where blind people work.

We already have the funds from the government to do this because
decisions have been already taken to shift every thing to free software
and Blind people should not be left out.

I am even going to consider open solaris, but some how, debian and
Ubuntu keep coming to my mind due to their perfect blending of
accessibility and a wide user base to support it.

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.