Re: [orca-list] braille compared to speech

On 21.09.2008 at 13:19:25 Jason White <jason jasonjgw net> wrote:

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 01:06:17PM +0200, Hermann wrote:

To accomplish the information:
Acer 1600 Laptop, 2.6 Ghz, 512 MB RAM and Ubuntu Gutsy.
However: I cannot accept that braille is only responsive on a super
computer. Moreover: I remember that quite a lot list members confirmed
iresponsiveness of braille.

The excellent responsiveness of Orca's braille support can be observed on my
laptop: 1.8ghz CPU, 1gb RAM. I think I made this clear in my earlier post.

Maybe lack of memory is your problem. If you don't have enough swap space, or
if the system is using swap space extensively due to insufficient memory, this
can seriously degrade performance.

I have about 900 MB swap space and it is hardly used, in most cases not
more than 32 MB and sometimes, when using OO for example, can go up to
125 MB. Is this too much?

My laptop has a slower CPU than yours, but twice as much memory, which leads
me to suspect memory usage as a possible cause. Also, you mention problems
with large mail folders, which again suggests that your machine might be
encountering memory issues.

In this case there should be a slow responsiveness in general, but it
isn't so, except the large mail folders, but I remember that flat review
issues have been reported (I use Thunderbird).
Hermann