Re: [orca-list] braille compared to speech

Offtopic
How to activate 7-8 to indicate focused links?

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] För
Hermann
Skickat: den 20 september 2008 15:37
Till: Daniel Dalton
Kopia: orca-list
Ämne: Re: [orca-list] braille compared to speech

On 20.09.2008 at 14:29:16 Daniel Dalton <d dalton iinet net au> wrote:

Hi,

I've got a question about braille: why aren't orca-specific messages
printed in braille, just spoken? eg. numpad 0 and numpad enter says
the title, but doesn't braille it. I'm sure there are others, but that
is the most obvious to me... Would anyone who can code think this
should be added?

Despite the fact that I cannot add this to Orca, I doubt that this are the
main things regarding braille and Orca: You can always read a portion of the
screen by scrolling to the wanted position using the keys of your braille
display. So, for example, to the top/bottom of the screen. So what's the use
in doubbling this when using speech? There are other things that are more
important:
- Why isn't it possible to increase Orca's responsiveness in braille? When I
perform any action using my braille display (Alva Satellite 544), I have to
wait a few seconds till I see a result? And when the screen has a lot of
content, this amount of seconds rises, so in Thunderbird with a large inbox.
- Why is it not possible to use the line-left line-right commands of my
display to scroll the screen, so for example in FF, where I have to use
line-up line-down to scroll one line for/back and then line-left line-right
to read the second part of the current line?
- I set up braille to show dots 7 and 8 when text is selected. This does not
work reliable, so in Thunderbird, where I cannot use braille to check what
text I've selected. The same with links in FF, although I activated dots 7-8
to indicate focused links.
Finally: Is it possible to use Orca with braille only? This is necessary
when working in a group, where speech might be disturbing. Hermann