Re: [orca-list] trying to set up speech-dispatcher as my speech engine of choice rather than gnome-speech

"SB" == Scott Berry <sberry northlc com> writes:

    SB> Hello there everyone, I am trying to set up espeak as my speech
    SB> engine. i have followed all the steps even the trouble shooting
    SB> and did not solve my problem. The problem is when I do a
    SB> "spd-say" anything it does not speak. Here are my configuration
    SB> files.

    SB> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It seams that your problem is in sound system. You probably play
pulseaudio. So stop it and then you can try SD again. Be sure that
pulseaudio don't runs.  For a future you can use spd-config script. this
script will set what is needed and will provide several tests.

"JVEds" == Jose Vilmar Estacio de souza <vilmar informal com br> writes:

    JVEds> Hi Scott, I've a similar problem. Looking in the
    JVEds> /var/log/speech-dispatcher/espeak.log file I fount the
    JVEds> folloing messages:

    JVEds> Wed Oct 22 09:14:35 2008 [583097] ALSA: Opening ALSA sound
    JVEds> output Wed Oct 22 09:14:35 2008 [583240] ALSA: Opening ALSA
    JVEds> device ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to
    JVEds> open slave Wed Oct 22 09:14:35 2008 [630783] ALSA ERROR:
    JVEds> Cannot open audio device default (Device or resource busy)
    JVEds> Wed Oct 22 09:14:35 2008 [630866] ALSA ERROR: Cannot
    JVEds> initialize Alsa device 'default': Can't open.

    JVEds> If I stop orca before run the spd-say command, I can hear the
    JVEds> message typed as parametter to the spd-say command.
That can be pulseaudio too. For alsa setting in gnome go to system
settings sound where you have set as your sound system alsa.

Best

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 24 24 86 008