Re: [orca-list] Different layout in the latest Thunderbird

On 09.10.2008 at 16:40:04 Joanmarie Diggs <joanmarie diggs gmail com> wrote:

Hi Hermann.

Usually there were two columns: One that shows all the folders, and one
that shows the messages in the chosen folder.
Now I see a third column that shows me the folder name again as a tab;

How odd.... 'Scuse me while I pull the latest Thunderbird.... Huh,
you're right. Looks like they've introduced Tabbed "browsing" for email.

That would be fine, when, for example, someone has a lot of folders; I
am such a person. ;-) But then it would be nice to switch between that
folders with one keystroke, instead of browsing the folder view. But
this doesn't seem to be possible.
[...]
What's the sence of this?

Couldn't tell you. I just tried using multiple tabs (seems you can bring
up a context menu for the folders in the tree and "open in new tab").

OK, I didn't realize this; but why a new tab? As stated above, It would
be nice to quicly change folders.

I'm not seeing any advantage personally. But these decisions are rarely
made on a whim and/or by a single person, so there's undoubtedly a good
reason -- and one which is probably documented publicly. I'd poke around
in Mozilla's bugzilla and/or drop in on the appropriate folks at
irc.mozilla.org if I wanted to find out more.

Perhaps Marco Zehe can explain this (I think he's still on the list).

The other thing I'm not seeing is a way to not use tabbed browsing.
Maybe that setting is hiding....

There should be indeed a way to turn it off, if it isn't that
convenient.
Hermann