Re: [orca-list] [Off topic] system sounds on intrepid

Hi,

mk360 wrote:
On 03.10.2008 at 14:40:50 Halim Sahin <halim sahin t-online de> wrote:

Hi
Are you using espeak with gnomespeech?
It seems that espeak wasn't compield with alsa support.
Install alsa-oss and edit /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver.
There you need to add aoss before /usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-drvier.bin

Caution! I think we talk about Intrepid and there is Pulseaudio
installed too. So there should be no need for alsa-oss, but one should
deactivate Pulseaudio in order to use Alsa as standard sound device.

Yes, I'm using intrepid with alsa becouse work's better with speech
dispatcher and I've deactivated pulseaudio.

I haven't any system sounds either. Yesterday I set up a bunch of sounds
for low battery alert and various events, but they aren't playing. I
searched for some bug reports, and found some things about a grayed out
sound configuration screen, but that's not the case here. I'm able to
preview the sounds and using PulseAudio, I'm able to use espeak/orca,
music and other things just fine. So, the sound setup seems to be ok,
however no gnome sound events are playing. Did someone already file a
bug report for this? With the final version of Ubuntu 8.10 coming quite
soon, these things shouldn't happen anymore.

Bram