[orca-list] Fw: Wuby install with Orca

I thought this reply would go to the list instead of just Brent. Sorry about that...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Maschmeyer" <lee_maschmeyer wayne edu>
To: "Brent Harding" <bharding doorpi net>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 08:42
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Wuby install with Orca

>I have the ISO of Ubuntu 8.04.

I've never heard of anybody doing anything in Windows with an ISO. Perhaps you burned it to a CD?

I used it to install Ubuntu using Wuby in Windows. I chose accessibility, and it rebooted and I chose Ubuntu from the menu.

It seems to act like a live CD.

What does this mean? A live CD does not reference the hard disk at any time. You could mount it with a mount command but that's all. So it acts like a brand new Ubuntu system as far as I can see.

How do I then install this thing into the image it creates, or is it just to install in a dedicated partition?

It's already in the image. That's what the image is.

At first it didn't want to go until I hit enter a few times,

What's "it"?

but then the live CD comes up from the hard drive.

A physical impossibility.

I hope that's not all one can do.

What doesn't it do that you want? I've been using WUBI for several months with little difficulty, though another lister mentioned it's a precarious install, subject to sudden demise and recommended only for evaluation purposes. But until (unless) it goes belly-up it's virtually indistinguishable from a native Ubuntu, at least in the light uses I've tried.

(OK, list, hang me up if I showed off too much of my ignorance. :-)

--

Lee Maschmeyer
Wayne State University