[orca-list] configuration working

I seem to now have sorted out my command for running the configuration
script for Speech-dispatcher.
I think I was supposed to type spd-conf or spd.conf.
However I can't seem to get around the error messages where I am told I
cannot open a server like it is trying to find a port and it doesn't
seem to like my sound settings either in Alsa or Pulseaudio.
I tried setting both under sound preferences.
It is when I am asked about re-starting speech-dispatcher and running
the tests where I run into problems.
I am running Ubuntu Intrepid on a Compaq Laptop, I think it might be the
Presario 140.
There are settings in the sound preferences in Gnome that I am not sure
about including something called sound capture which seems to do
absolutely nothing when you do space on the test button and there is
something else I haven't played with which I don't know about.