[orca-list] new person needing assistance

Hello folks. The name is Scott Shade. I'm afraid the subject line pretty much somes this up. I'm a windows user and have a limited idea of linux from when I had help a few years ago installing devian on a different machine with speakup. I liked it but when my machine had to be reformatted and my windows installation fixed I lost everything and my partition got messed up. I saw a review of ubuntu on blind cool tech and thought I was grabbing the wubi installer for windows to go straight to 8.10. Instead I have 8.04 and have it updated, but can't seem to get to 8.10. I don't remember that much about my previous linux experiences to feel comfortable delving in to this and in this version it appears that after I put my password in on various screens, I'm losing speech so I'm a bit hesitant to attempt to try to get the updates to everything I have. My goal is to try to learn linux and work with it on this single machine I have running windows and linux together. Is it possible for someone to talk me through it, or do some type of remote control of my machine to accomplish this? Also if you all could point me in the direction of more resources to learning about linux and basic navigation, that would be great. A sort of linux for dummies course if you would. The last time I messed with anything like this was in 2003 I think. Thank you so much for any help you can give me. I'm assuming that since I'm running 8.04 that I probably don't have the latest versions of orca either so I'll appologize for all the help I'm probably gona need in advance. Take care all, and thanks again,
Scott