[orca-list] problem after installing atk, at-spi and orca on intrepid

Hi folks out there
I have ubuntu 8.10 here and it runs ok on my system. today I tried
upgrading atk, at-spi, gail and orca from svn.
This was no trouble at all on ubuntu 8.04.1 but in 8.10 I now have a
very unstable system after upgrading those packages.
I followed the instrucktions on the orca page and also added
libgconf2-dev to get at-spi configured and compiled.
here is the problems. before the upgrade orca red tables fine, now it
crashes or the application crashes. Rhythmbox stopped working and
crashing when i tab to the sources list.
The machine hangs after shutdown or reboot.
Is there a solution for this or do I have to reinstall/restore the
system to get it to it's previous state.
All the best Tony