Re: [orca-list] Orca, Gnome Speech extreme latency, stalling

You're right; new comers shouldn't have to jump through hoops of
installing development libraries, compiling, etc. just to have
accessibility.  Ubuntu and similar distros have prided themselves in
making linux easier for the masses to use - reducing the "Geek factor"
so often associated with linux.

Actually, when I brought gnome up in Debian, The only thing I had to
do without any accessibility was login to gnome through the GDM the
first time and pressing insert-f2 to launch Orca by hand.  Orca came
up talking with festival speech automatically and I was able to
configure it; actually, the setup sequence is what popped up for me
that first time.  After selecting espeak through gnome-speech, Orca
spoke fine and I never experienced any latency.

One wierd observation however was while configuring Orca for the first
time, I had both synths going at the same time until I restarted
Orca.  That was really strange.  I want to experiment with Cepstral
voices but I can't find the gnome-swift or python-swift package
anyware.  I may have to rebuild gnome-speech myself.  This is where
the packaging strategy buggs me a bit.  People tend to discourage you
from mixing and matching pre built packages and compilations from
source but then if a package doesn't exist or can't be found or isn't
current, then it is necessary to do just that.