Re: [orca-list] Reporting bugs - what to consider and do?

Hi, Gena,

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I'll tell you what I do. I'm assuming the potential bug is one of access.

- If I think I have a bug, I make sure that it is repeatable and that I know the steps to cause the bug to appear.

-Then, I post it to the Orca list and ask if anyone else is seeing the problem. If I get a confirmation back, I know that it is not just a problem of my machine/configuration/etc, so I'll file the bug. If I don't get a confirmation back, I'll often make clean, rebuild Orca, and see if I can repeat it. (Obviously, this step doesn't apply if you aren't using Orca svn.) If so, then I think about filing a bug. With things that are changed on a regular basis, like Orca svn trunk or the nightly builds of Firefox and Thunderbird, I'll see if it persists over a few days of updates.

-Once I've decided that I have a bug, I then try to decide if it is an Orca bug or an application bug. This is a difficult call, because it is often difficult to tell if it is the application that is responsible for the lack of access or Orca doesn't have the scripts to provide the access. If I'm uncertain, I tend to file the bug with the Orca team, since they will be able to determine the cause of the problem and contact the correct development group, if needed.

-Once I've decided where to file the bug, I then search the application's bug list to see if it has already been filed. For instance, the Orca bug list can be found here:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?columnlist=target_milestone%20priority%20bug_severity%20assigned_to%20short_desc&query_format=advanced&product=orca&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&order=bugs.target_milestone,bugs.priority%2Cbugs.bug_severity%2Cbugs.target_milestone%2Cbugs.bug_id

However, Bugzilla also has a search feature that allows you to search for keywords in the existing bug reports. Do the best job you can, but that is no guarantee that you will find the existing bug. I've tried different sets of keywords for some bugs, and they weren't correct and never found the existing bug--the bug I filed was later redirected to the existing bug. The important thing is that you make an attempt to find an existing bug.

-Once you believe that there is no existing bug, you can file a new bug. Bugzilla has an easy process to follow to file a new bug. All of the fields you need to fill in are well-defined/described. The only thing I would suggest is, that when you are filing an Orca bug, the short description contains the name of the application. When you are filing a bug with an application, you should include the word "accessibility" in the short description of the bug.

-All correspondence related to fixing the bug will be carried out through Bugzilla, with email messages sent to you whenever someone else "comments" on the bug form. That email message will provide you with a link to the correct page in Bugzilla, so you can quickly go to the page, make comments, answer questions, download patches, etc.

As far as using a built-in bug reporting system, I think that is fine if it works for you. I don't believe that they are expecting you to do the research to determine if the bug is existing, so it falls to someone to classify the bug and determine if it is existing--this may take a little extra time over filing the bug yourself (extra time for the bug report to reach the correct person, that is).

If you have any questions about any of this, please let me know. I hope this helps,

dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Georgina Joyce" <gena mga demon co uk>