Re: [orca-list] Best email solution?

Hi,

I know that a lot of people on this list are using Evolution, but I'm using Thunderbird. (By the way, you don't need to tab through all those controls to get from the mailbox tree to the message list--if you shift-tab twice, you'll be in the message list.)

I'm not seeing your problem with messages being deleted after being read in Thunderbird. You might want to check your server settings (Edit:Account Settings, then select server settings in the tree) and see if things are set up properly for deleting messages. Thunderbird has lots of bugs, and I'm starting to document them as time permits. But, I agree that Thunderbird is easier to work with than Evolution, once you learn to work around the bugs. And, if you feel like documenting and filing bugs, that would be wonderful! Please post any bugs you file to this mailing list.

Thanks,

dave

Nolan Darilek wrote:
Hello, all.

What are those of you using Orca regularly finding to be the best email
solution? Here's what I've tried and experienced:

Evolution:Not a big fan of this interface as it seems rather cluttered.
The way to read email messages seems to involve pressing enter on each
one, then tabbing/arrowing X times until I've reached the message
content area. Is there a more efficient way to do this? There are also
lots of buttons to tab past, and tabbing through the display seems to be
an essential aspect of reading my mail.

Thunderbird 3.0A: I recognize this is an alpha, and also note that it
seems more accessible. I'm noticing, though, that it's **incredibly**
eager to delete my messages. (I.e. I press enter on a message, read it
then ctrl-w to close the window, the message is gone.) Fortunately
deleted messages go into my trash, so they aren't truly gone, but I'm
fishing for mail in the trash multiple times per day, and there seems to
be an ever-increasing list of actions that cause my mail to go away. For
instance, last night I tried clicking on an attachment with mouse keys
to see if I could view it, and whoosh, instant deletion. :) I recognize
that this is alpha software, so I can't be too upset about this, but I
asked on #thunderbird today and didn't receive a huge outpouring of
"Yeah, that's a known issue which we're all dealing with." This makes me
wonder if it's an issue with keyboard commands, or some oddness with
Orca's interaction that's wiping out my mail. What exactly that could
possibly be, I don't know, but alpha or not, it strikes me as odd that
so many would use a trigger-happy email client. :) Has anyone else
encountered this? This is with the nightly build, and every day I'm
prompted to install a software update, so I assume that it's downloading
each new nightly build.

Also, I've not figured out any means of accessing attachments in either
Evolution or Thunderbird. I've looked for menu options or buttons. I've
tried using flat review and mouse keys to click on the text of the
attachment filename. Is there something I'm missing?

And is there another email client I might try that works better? I'm
mostly happy with Thunderbird, but this whole trigger-happiness is
really bugging/scaring me, making me want to switch to another client
until someone can confirm or resolve it. I'm also happy to file whatever
bugs may be necessary, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced
it, and the nature of the issue has me unwilling to play with it much in
order to find an exact list of what behaviors cause it. :)

Thanks a bunch.