[orca-list] ubunto and sound crashes

Hello all. I am using ubunto 8.04 gnome speech services and orca. The
problem I am having is that speech will lock start stuttering and
cause the system to ang. When this occurrs, the ctrl-alt-backspace
will not kill and return to the promised land of log-in prompt and the
machine must be shut down entirely. I guess the questions that I have
for you all, are:

Is this distro specific? If not orca/gnome speech services? would a
different synthesiser help? Finally where do I start looking for
beginning points for diagnostics as I am a relative newb when it comes
to troubleshooting this os.
As a final note, I use a sound blaster autogy2 card and the
missbehavior is present whether or not alsa is on, or not

Thanks in advance..