[orca-list] Structural navigation

Hermann wrote:
If we rethink Michael's point of view, we could ask why there's a
structural navigation in Orca at all? Moreover: Why not let an
extension do the whole a11y job?

That REALLY IS an interesting idea.  I, as a seeing user, would
definitely make use of structural navigation in Firefox.  If it could
also be done more efficiently there, why implement that in Orca?  I can
imagine, that the reason may be the consistency with other document
viewing situations, such as in OpenOffice.

Implementing document navigation within applications rather than in the
screen reader would logically extend one of the basic concepts of Orca
to rely on the keyboard navigation features provided by the toolkit.  If
it can be done for navigation within applications themselves, why not do
it for navigation within their documents?  Of cource, we don't want to
reimplement a similar thing in every application again and again, but
the question is: Is Orca really the right place to implement document
navigation or could it be done on a different level?  I'm just curious
if someone had thought about that...

Best regards, Tomas