[orca-list] Strange issue with Cepstral David in Ubuntu Hartsy with Orca

Guys, I'm stumped.  I've installed the voice I bought, edited

/etc/ld.so.conf

did an apt-get for subversion

registered my voices

tried even rebuilding gnome-speech just in case, but only got as far as the autogen shell script before it told me no autogen.sh, file not found. Yet if I ls, it's right there.

Yeah, I did remember ./ before the file.

I did

./autogen --prefix=/usr/bin

I can't believe this!

Then when I did an apt-get for festival, Orca real conveniently seemed to then crash each time I'd hit insert+space to bring up the preferences.

I must say I'm totally stumped.

I really cannot stand ESpeak.  I have a horrible hearing loss.

The synth just doesn't work for me, and frankly Festival's not a whole lot better. I would install dectalk but can't afford it, and I do have ttsynth, but, after I apt-get for

libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2

that goes fine, then I
gdebi filename.deb

that's fine. I put in my name and key, all is fine, setting default to American English, yoddie yodda, I'm taking back to my prompt. I then unload and restart Orca. do insert space, and well guess what: no t t synth. I got this to work once on Ubuntu 7.04, but God kill me if I remember how on earth I did it. All I remember is something about a rpm package. I strictly remember it wouldn't install due to dependencies, until I finally ran this thing and did -nodeps. gdebi doesn't have a --nodeps option though so I'm having a hard time believing that's the file I did it with. It seems, I installed the deb pkg, then installed the Python driver rpm, but don't recall. I'd kill to get t t synth working again. I'd be damned to recall what the blessid heck I did. I wanna know though as that's a waist of $40 if I cannot get it to work. I dono what version a Orca I have, it's just whatever comes with Hartsy.

o, one more unrelated thing: if my Orca gets messed, what directory or file was it you can delete that'll then put all things back to factory default and recreate the file next time you run Orca? I'm pulling out my hair trying to recall.

Chris.