Re: [orca-list] Compare or not compare was: Re: Page presentation

hi hermann.
actually the problem is that most valuable thing in any person's life is time.
and if at all we only have to replicate so call state of the art
technology made in that beautiful super accessible windows, then
better try serching for donations from our individual governments to
fund blind community to by a certain screen reader, the windows virus
etc.
we are a huge community it spans so many hackers like us, so many end
users and so many research schollers who admitabilly know better than
a lot of proprietory programmres not because of superior brain power
but due to the very culture of free software.
already there is no dirth of new and old ideas which are actually pritty good.
the reason we tend to asume the superiority of windows is because of
its forced or unforced popularity.
agreed orca came much later than the proprietory softwares but what's
the point in doing any comparison and just taking some thing *only
because it comes from a so call superior OS *.
talking about freedom ideology, it is this noble ideology of Dr. RMS
that we have such a rich culture thriving around the technology and I
think we not the just except but also respect the same.
yes I completely and holehartedly agree that we must go out to the
people and make as many people free from proprietory softwares as
possible, but not at the cost of making some thing on the basis of a
proprietory software.
orca has different and superior approach in many cases and so does
gnome, and the community at large appreciates this.
My words as a freedom fighter might have hert some one and my sincear
oppologies for this.
but yes freedom is the most valuable thing and many like me feel prowd
of the technology driven by the free software culture.
as I said time and time again, it is perfect to take a good feature
from a proprietory screen reader but make the communication clear
about the fact that it is not because it was in a superior windows,
but because the feature is cool no matter where it comes from.
again, the flip side is that we have also critisized open office and
many on the list also agreed.  but it is again due to the fact that we
won't just consider oo good because it is free software but make it
good by putting good things in it.
and talking about people in general, if we don't make people aware of
"it is not just about the cost " then who else should do it?
also many  of the unix like approaches which say "make one tool that
does one thing better and perfect ", has proved to be much more
productive so instead of taking a proprietory approach to things it is
better to have the approaches which have proved to be better, and mind
you I made reference to unix which by no means is free software.
so again sorry if my words hert some proprietory software advocate,
but if a certain thing like orca approach with firefox is appreciated
by community at large, it must be appreciated that such things come
from any person in the free software culture and it in many cases
might come as a productive contradiction to windows approach.  We need
not compare every now and then.  let's have ideas about how a certain
thing would be more interractive with a blind person using screen
reader?
I seriously have no objection of knowing how a certain thing was done
in another OS but would not really except it just because "you know?
we have been doing this for ages and this is what is right.  let's
have it as a copy in orca ".  and many on the list have already agreed
to what I am stating.

I am wondering if windows was the so called superior os till date and
if they had the best in every thing and freedom is useless, why even
care of developing another screen reader.  we can script a certain
proprietory screen reader and make it even better with more and more
accessibility.
talking about costs?  I already mentioned the solution.
happy hacking.
KK