Re: [orca-list] Another Suggestion for OpenOffice/Orca Improvement

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:16:11PM -0700, Peter Korn wrote:
Hi Janina,

OOo Writer has keyboard functionality for navigation by paragraph:
Ctrl-Up/Down arrow.  Add shift to select.  For deleting lines, Home
followed by shift up/down arrow will select lines you can then delete.

Not the same - and in many cases not as fast - as vi.  But in case you
didn't already know about these...

Separately, I just took a "Hands on Lab" class at the recent JavaOne
conference, where I learned about writing OpenOffice.org extensions -
specifically Java using NetBeans.  One option for folks wanting more
vi/emacs-style (or WordPerfect style, for that matter) keyboard gestures
would be to write an OOo Writer extension to encapsulate just that
functionality.  This should be a far easier task that trying to modify
the actual OOo codebase itself.  I haven't dug into the details of
making keyboard gesture modifications (the lab covered adding menu
items, dialog boxes, file translators/converters, and adding smart
tags), but it appears that most of the object model is exposed to
extension writers.

That all sounds very promising. Where can one find more information?

Regards,

Bertil