Re: [orca-list] Another Suggestion for OpenOffice/Orca Improvement

Hi Hermann,

Hermann wrote:
And BTW.: Would someone be so kind and explain to a completely
unenlightened person like me, why the use of Vim is "scientific"?

Because you need a computer science degree and have to read at least one
500 page book to be able to use its most basic feature of editing text. :-)

In all seriousness: Vim has, in my opinion, the worst user interface
I've ever encountered since I started using computers some 25 years ago.
It does not conform to *any* common user patterns such as being able to
insert, or overwrite, text once you have opened a text document. To
quote one program that's often being said to have a very unfriendly user
interface: Even WordStar let you do at least that.

Vim will only let you navigate a text document, and you have to have at
least a reference card handy somewhere that tells you what letters to
press before it lets you insert text or change content.

But I guess this all is a matter of what you grew up with. I do not have
much trouble adapting to Emacs, because I used to use WordStar or
WordPerfect during my DOS days. But Vim, without any indication, leaves
one like me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I hear, though, that OpenOffice is very extensible, so if someone wants
to write a Vim keyboard interface to it, they can certainly do that.

Marco