Re: [orca-list] Another Suggestion for OpenOffice/Orca Improvement

am So 18. Mai 2008 um 10:58:03 schrieb Jan and Bertil Smark Nilsson <jbsn tpg com au>:
This suggestion may seem wacky, but I am most earnest. So, I articulate
my thought here wondering whether I'm alone in my insanity.

I would dearly love to "gene splice" OpenOffice && { vim | emacs }

Since I've been a vim user mostly, I'll make my examples vim specific.
But, the same would hold for emacs.

Having now worked with Orca and OpenOffice (off and on) for the better
part of a year, I still find myself hampered by the inherently
mouse-oriented "highlight and click" nature of the editing process. I'm
sure it's great for mouse users, but it's [expletive deleted] for me.
Yes, I feel pretty strong about this.

If I want to delete one, or maybbe 4 lines, I have to carefully
highlight that block before deleting in OpenOffice. In vim I simply do
d$, or dd, or d4d, depending.
If the OO people could be persuaded to provide a few more shortcut keys,
the problem would be solved. We all have our favourite editors. I use
Wordperfect for DOS through dosemu, and it works perfectly - within its
limitations. One good feature is that you can hit alt-f4, and when you
move your cursor the text becomes highlighted. it's a very useful
feature for copying to clipboard, cutting and pasting and moving blocks
of text around. It would, however, be pretty handy for brailly users to
be able to use shft+cursor-routing keys to highlight text that way, just
as you can do shft+end and highlight a whole line.

I also think that extending OO by some keyboard relating features would be
sufficient.
But it's definitly not an Orca issue.
And BTW.: Would someone be so kind and explain to a completely
unenlightened person like me, why the use of Vim is "scientific"?
Hermann