Re: [orca-list] Page presentation issues

On 16/05/2008, Steve Holmes <steve holmesgrown com> wrote:
Actually, I'm glad Orca doesn't linearize tables or break up the line and
put links on single separate lines.  I guess to each his own.  But I
personally find the virtual buffers used in Window-Eyes and Jaws to be quite
disturbing; they totally mis-represent the actual page layout in reality.
Try going over a web site with a sighted person and you'll see what I mean.
When I've attempted that, we end up on separate planets.  The sighted person
can't relate to what I'm hearing with the windows screen reader and they can
never find what I'm referring to.

Completely agreed steve.  that's why I find vertual buffering
absolutely unscientific.  we should not always asuem that we will be
working like an isolated man on an island.  there will be times where
we have to and must work with sited people.  and what about web
designers who are blind?
how would they ever find if the page is perfect or not?  how would I
ever understand the real presentation of a web page?
rather it is due to this "as is " presentation of orca I am in a
better position today to claim that a certain web site has not taken
much care of accessibilitie related issues, because if the site is not
developed with accessibility in mind, orca would highlite it pritty
well.
in vertual buffers we are in a sand box.

When I use Orca and listen closely, I can tell when there are multiple links
on a line and I can then either tab over to each link or sometimes I find it
easy enough to use the insert-right arrow key combination to jump to each
successive link.  I can also verify what I'm sitting on by hitting the
numpad-enter key and if it says link same page or link other page, then I'm
good to go and hit the regular enter key to activate the link.  I can do the
same thing with form fields too.

yes.
and that is the reason I at laest know my way on things like ZMI.
with vertual buffers I was totally helpless.
happy hacking.
Kk.