Re: [orca-list] date and time as well as system administration with orca?

d dalton iinet net au
[orca-list] date and time as well as system administration with orca?

Greetings Daniel,

I have atached a copy of my orca-customizations.py script.  It's set up to allow OrcaKey+t for time and
OrcaKey+d for date output.  Let me know if you need any help modifying it to your needs.  Note, I omitted the
braille support lines because at the time I wasn't using a braille display.

As far as getting sysadmin to work: below I list the step-by-step instructions for geting the .orbitrc file,
but if you're using ubuntu hearty, there's another files that needs to be modified.

Step 1: open a terminal.

a) applications -> accessories -> terminal

b) pres "ALT+F2" and type "gnome-termianl" and press enter.

step 2: switch to super-user mode: type "sudo su - root"  press enter and enter in your admin password.

step 3: enter the following four (4) lines at the prompt and press the enter key after each line.

cat> ~/.orbitrc << EOF
ORBIIOPIPv4=1
ORBIIOPUNIX=0
EOF

explination:
"cat> ~/.orbitrc << EOF" the "cat> ~/.orbitrc" is a command to put text into the ~/.orbitrc file (note that ~
is the HOME directory for root not your admin alias). the "<< EOF" part says to copy text from the
command-line until the user types "EOF."

The following two (2) lines are the actual contents of the ~.orbitrc file (I'm not entirely sure what they
exactly mean, but I'm sure if you ask, someone will explain it).

the last line "EOF" says that we're done entering into .orbitrc.

If you're using hearty, you'll need to do one last step (I just copied this off the wiki, I haven't done it
myself).

2) Edit /etc/sudoers to add the following line after the line with
"env_reset" in it:

Defaults env_keep+="GTK_MODULES"

I hope this helps:-)

Hi,

Well, I have spent a little while on the wiki, I'm currently using thunderbird and it seems to work nicely,
but 2 things I like the sound of I can't get working:

- Can someone attach their orca-customizations.py script so I can have a hotkey for date and time? I don't
have braille so its hard to check the indentation and it doesn't seem to say the time after following the
instructions on the orca site.

Question 2:
- How do I setup sysadmin?
I read that a ~/.orbitrc file must be created? Is this correct? (for root)
Then what lines should it contain?
(and how should the indentation be?)

I had trouble with the instructions from the website again, and would like to be able to use my graphical
desktop more often.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Daniel.