Re: [orca-list] Problems with Orca text setup (was Re: gnome-orca .2.22 about to enter unstable)

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Jason White wrote:

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:59:47PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:

This does not make sense at all!  Why would you fake a X11 display
if you are trying to use the "text setup"?
I never had to fake a X11 display to be able to use orca -t.

This appears to have changed recently. If I run it without setting the DISPLAY
environment variable to point to an X display, I get:

jason jdc:~$ orca -t
/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72: GtkWarning:
could
not open display
 warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
 Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
     File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/orca/orca.py", line 54, in ?
         import pyatspi
           File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pyatspi/__init__.py", line
           44, in ?
               reg = bonobo.activation.activate_from_id(REGISTRY_IID, 0, 0)
               Bonobo.GeneralError

Starting X, then in another vc running orca -t actually works.
If your working from svn there seems to be a bug with -t...
Or if that fails just run orca --setup (I believe.) from a gnome terminal...
So its:
startx

That should boot your desktop. Does it?
Then switch to another text console and issue this command:
orca -t

Not sure how to set the display variable because
echo $DISPLAY
prints nothing even when x is running and working correctly.

I've had various problems around gnome-speech and the initial
text setup as well.
AIUI, this is more related to the way GNOME-Speech and ORBit
are implemented, than to any Debian specifics, but I might be wrong.

Thanks. That shows it isn't some oddity of my particular mix of installed
packages and libraries, then. I'll wait for further comments on the list
before visiting Bugzilla.

I get the same sort of errors as you I believe. If that is what you were refering too.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
d dalton iinet net au