[orca-list] Problems with Orca text setup (was Re: gnome-orca .2.22 about to enter unstable)

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 03:43:58PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:

Just a quick notice to let you know ahead of time that I've
just uploaded gnome-orca 2.22.0-1 to sid which will most probably
be available through the mirrors from tomorrow morning (thursday) on.

Thanks to Mario for the excellent work on the Debian package. The package
installed and ran on my system without any problems.

The difficulties I encountered while initially setting up Orca are still
present, however.

If the following doesn't turn out to be a Debian-specific issue or something
wrong with the state of the packages on my system, I'll gladly file an Orca
bug report.

To describe the problem briefly, if I remove my ~/.orca directory to start
the configuration process from the beginning, run startx and then from a
separate virtual console run
DISPLAY=:0 orca -t
which I am told is supposed to work, I get a lengthy Python backtrace from
gnome-speech.

Running it with orca --disable=speech doesn't work either. However, under X I
can type alt-F2 orca --disable=speech <cr> and get into the Orca preferences
with the braille display.

Running orca (without --disable=speech) generates backtraces as well, which I
can't read, but I'm reasonably sure they are present because if I put orca in
my ~/.xsession file I get the back traces on the console and the X server
shuts down.

Attached to this message is a session log of my latest test, which shows the
backtraces.

I have Orca, Gnome-speech, eSpeak and Festival installed as well as BRLTTY.

Note: I've included orca-list in the CC field of this message, as this may or
may not be a Debian-specific problem. If anyone wants to complain about my
cross-posting, please consider that I thought about it carefully before doing
so. You're still entitled to complain though if you really want to.