Re: [orca-list] miscellaneous Orca comments

I suppose another good arguement to make for more speakup support is a lot
of server environments only run in run level 3 without any gui.  i know
that certainly in here that's the way we work.  If I want to access any of
these servers I need to use ssh from another machine as speakup isn't in
the kernel and I don't want to start messing around with anything as it
will cause down time at the very least.

The goal of linux accessibility projects is to empower people with
disability to obtain work in this environment.  By distributions like
Ubuntu discontinuing Speakup support in their downloadable kernel, they
are escentially limiting that ability.

Don't get me wrong.  in my opinion, the continuing evolution of Orca is
probably more important than anything else in the A-T world as it really
opens Linux up to more users than was ever possible with just the console
alone.  For the popularity of Linux to increase, people with visual
impairments need to have the same conveenience that the graphical
environment provides to everyone else.

It is none the less important to remember that Linux is choice orientated
and by removing speakup support, that choice becomes very limited.

Darragh
Blog at www.digitaldarragh.com