Re: [orca-list] Preferences dialog does not close anymore

am Sa 08. Mär 2008 um 17:19:42 schrieb Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM>:
I haven't experienced this.  My suspicion is that there might be a bad
line in your ~/.orca/user-settings.py or ~/.orca/orca-customizations.py
file.  If you try something like moving your ~/.orca directory to a safe
place and then re-running Orca, do you still experience the problem?

I've tested it again, and now it has gone. Really don't know what caused
this? I updated Espeak from the source and installed the very latest
Orca from SVN, that's all I did. I changed punctuation in the general
preferences and rechecked the table reading mode, because it sometimes
switches, without any reason, from "line" to "cell"; I wrote about it.
Clicking OK, caused Orca to save the settings, but not to close the
dialog. I repeated this several times, same results. Two hours later, I
retried it and now it seems to work properly; I'm really confused.
[...]
Can you tell me more about your Orca environment?  For example, do you
do things such as edit your ~/.orca/user-settings.py file?

The only case I do this is when changing the debug output mode in order
to send debug.out.
I lately changed my orca-customizations.py to adjust the length of
"large objects" as Joanie has recommended in a comment to my feature
request on Bugzilla.

Do you
download/install Orca from trunk?

Yes. I started it, since I wanted to check out some new features mainly
applied to FF3.

Do you apply patches that are
attached to bugs, but not committed yet?

No I didn't.

All of these things leave
plenty of room for error and can cause catastrophic failure if not done
correctly.  :-(

To help us better analyze what's causing the issues, you can do the
usual debug.out thing that you've helped us with in the past.  In
addition, if you run orca from the command line and save any messages
that might be output, we should be able to make some forward progress.

OK, I notice this for the future. I'm familiar with sending debug files,
but I didn't save start up messages till now.
Hermann