[orca-list] OT, wireless question

Hi Folks,
I got the TTsynth working finally.
I had to plug it into the router via cable to get updates.
I need a different solution for the network connection, than having my son
connect it when I reboot.
Is there a command-line method olennf connecting the wireless?
My WIFI has been slow, and it does not connect automatically.
I'm sure it is not the router, as my windows machines connect to it with
ease, as does my son's WII.  BTW, it is a dLink 714 P.
Thanks, and thanks for all the help so far.