To: "Lenny Ervin" <LennyErvin cableone net>
Cc: "Orca List" <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Speech in a terminal

A few suggestions:

1.) When you run into trouble, do not reinstall. That's not going to
help you. Odds are excellent that your problems are not problems with
your installation but rather with your lack of experience. So, ask
specific questions on the lists, and be patient. Rome wasn't built in a
day, and you're not going to learn Linux in a day either.

2.) Not all applications on the desktop are accessible. In fact,
it's arguably the case that most are not accessib le. So, when you go to
some particular app, especially the system management apps for example,
and hear nothing from Orca, it's probably because that particular
application was written using a toolkit that doesn't support
accessibility. Don't even try KDE apps, apps that usually start with a
'k.' Even many older Gnome apps are inaccessible.

3.) The console you access with Ctrl-Alt-F1 is very accessible, but
not with Orca. For that you need Speakup, or a console a11y app like
Speakup. There are Ubuntu kernels, I believe, that provide Speakup
support.

Janina

Lenny Ervin writes:
Hi,
I am having problems getting things going with my Ubuntu.
eSpeak works most of the time in Gnome, but not all windows, like the
network window, so I can connect to my wireless.
I just re-installed Ubuntu, and although it is working as good as it did
before, it is no better.
So I just plugged in my serial Dectalk via a USB to serial converter, and I am trying to figure out how to get speech in the terminal window, or in the
control + alt + F1 window.
This is Ubuntu 7.10.
Thanks for any help.
Glenn

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.202.595.7777; sip:janina a11y org
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Chair, Open Accessibility janina a11y org
Linux Foundation http://a11y.org