Re: [orca-list] Firefox3 and sayAll broken with latest trunk update

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 02:04:37PM -0500, Rich Caloggero wrote:
Isn't this what orca does now? Its still a bit buggy, but for the most part
you can do what you want.

        Not really, in my opinion.  The keystrokes should all be in
Firefox, or Firefox should be made aware of special assisstive
technology requests like "stream document to port xxxx when a   certain
code is received from an assistive tech device/program.  Without some
kind of intercommunications standard, this problem      of which keys
which program can use is going to reoccur every time  some new feature
is added.  Screen readers pretty much   have the Insert hotkey copy-
righted and crated, ready for   shipping.  Only a word processor would
need it, so if the key is pressed and released, the keystroke could be
passed to the word processor without interruption.  I love the hotkey
plug-in idea the folks at Mozilla came up with (if I was reading things
right).  I just think the plug-in idea should be taken  to a deeper
level and create a unified plug-in for assistive tech that everyone can
use or ignore.  My madness is two-fold.  Open source users can more
easily integrate the technology, while commercial vendors will probably
just ignore it, leaving Microsoft out of the running, hard-hearted, and
uncaring of us poor handicapped users.  M$ will get a black eye from
just being so profit oriented and decentralized.  Even if they implement
the same tech, it doesn't mean every other Windows software writer will
too. <snickering>  Linux wins, Microsoft loses.  Makes me all warm and
tingly inside, just thinking about it.  Assistive Technology needs it's
own GPL version of a "postscript" standard that can be implented into
things invisably, without affecting currently written software.  I think
it can be done, with a little forethought.  I want a speech synthesizer
that I can plug into my wireless router.

                        Michael