Re: [orca-list] FF Frustrations [Was: Firefox 3 find and alt tags]

With the ever growing use of Java and other AJAX implementations in
the web, I find the text browsers almost unusable in today's web.
Frankly, I hated links and links2.  The java support never worked for
any sites I tried to use it on.  Firefox is *SO MUCH BETTER*.  Maybe
it's my Windows experience with firefox but I find FF on the linux
platform to be really cool to work with.  For one thing, the page
looks like it does in reality instead of what you hear from a 'virtual
buffer' from Window-Eyes or Jaws.

I'll try to explain what I know with firefox if that may help some
folks here.  Firefox does have what I like, tab browsing.  I use that
quite often so I can jump off to another page and immediately come
back to where I left off.  A good example of this could be Google; say
you have a hundred hits on a search; as you navigate down by typing h
to go to each new search section, hit ctrl-Enter to open a new tab.
After finishing with that page just hit ctrl-W to close it and you
will be returned to the search list and almost always, Orca leaves you
at the line where you left off.  I noticed a couple tricks that might
help you if you drift off the page like tabbing past the last link on
a page.  If Orca says something like "Location text" or similar, then
you ended up in the field where you can type a URL to go to.  You also
get there with ctrl-L.  Just back tab and you will hear something like
"This page does not collect information" or "This page validated by
...". Back tab once more and you're back at the bottom of the page.
Another thing you can do if lost, is type ctrl-K which takes you to a
built-in search box.  Hit tab once and you will be in the list of tabs
if you have multiple tabs open.  Orca will also say "Page" because it
is a Page control (if that's the right name); In MS Windows, that's a
tab control.  Just tab once more and you will be back on your page.
Also, hitting numpad-Enter should be helpful.  Thankfully the later
versions of Firefox now have the page navigation keys working properly
so pressing ctrl-Home will take you to the top of the page if you're
lost.

Someone mentioned using ctrl-page up and down keys; these are already
in use by Firefox.  Like I said before, I have found tab browsing to
be extremely powerful and I love it.  I find it very useful.  Hope all
this helps.