From: Rich Caloggero [mailto:rjc MIT EDU]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 3:17 PM
To: Alex Snow
Cc: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Slightly OT: Running gnome as root

What is the advantage or disadvantage of running gdm?  Is this a "window
manager"? What exactly does it do?
Sorry for my ignorance, but X startup has always been a mystery to me.  Any
docs that make this clear?

Alex wrote:
Is this part of any configuration for gnome-session, and if so, where
would  that configuration be located?

What is gnome-session? I definately see a process called gnome-session on
my
machine, which is always present when someone is logged in at the console.
Does this mean that I'm not using gdm either?  I do have /etc/gdm
directory.

Thanx.
-- Rich