Re: [orca-list] gnome-speech seems to block orca

Yes one of the problems is the internal dictionary and I knew there is
plans to allow turning it off, I didn't know it was already in CVS.

I do still have a couple of problems. The IBMtts module doesn't seem to
use the right speed all the time. An example is that here at work I use
my computer in one account for work stuff, then I close X (I use startx
to start X rather than GDM), then at the text console I switch to my
personal account with su, and then start X (with startx again) and orca
speaks but it is at the speech-dispatcher default rate. This rate will
not go to what orca is set to unless I alter orca's rate, at which point
speech-dispatcher then reflects the orca setting. I suppose (if I am
actually right in saying it goes to the speech-dispatcher default rate)
I could set the default rate to what I want orca to use to solve this.

The other problem, possibly more of a general speech-dispatcher problem,
is that I need to set orca's rate to maximum when using
speech-dispatcher and IBMtts, I believe I am actually going a little
faster in gnome-speech (gnome speech can go much, much faster with
IBMtts). This wasn't such a problem for me with espeak as I didn't use
it quite as fast as I use IBMtts.

Michael Whapples