Re: [orca-list] gnome-speech seems to block orca

Michael Whapples wrote:
I do still have a couple of problems. The IBMtts module doesn't seem to
use the right speed all the time. An example is that here at work I use
my computer in one account for work stuff, then I close X (I use startx
to start X rather than GDM), then at the text console I switch to my
personal account with su, and then start X (with startx again) and orca
speaks but it is at the speech-dispatcher default rate. This rate will
not go to what orca is set to unless I alter orca's rate, at which point
speech-dispatcher then reflects the orca setting. I suppose (if I am
actually right in saying it goes to the speech-dispatcher default rate)
I could set the default rate to what I want orca to use to solve this.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for reporting this.  Seems strange, since if you start Orca in
your new session, it should set its speech rate when initializing the
Speech Dispatcher connection.  I will try to investigate this, but if
you have any more information about the various conditions which lead to
this problem and others which don't, please let me know.

The other problem, possibly more of a general speech-dispatcher problem,
is that I need to set orca's rate to maximum when using
speech-dispatcher and IBMtts, I believe I am actually going a little
faster in gnome-speech (gnome speech can go much, much faster with
IBMtts). This wasn't such a problem for me with espeak as I didn't use
it quite as fast as I use IBMtts.

There is probably a wrong rate computation in the ibmtts module.  It
should be simple to fix.  I'm forwarding your message to the Speech
Dispatcher list.  I will let you know if we come to a solution.

Best regards, Tomas