Re: [orca-list] NVDA seen from an Orca-user perspective

Well, that is true, NVDA is realli faster on webpages, sometimes faster than other screen readers on windows for example JAWS, and from my point of view than orca. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Victor Tsaran" <vtsaran gmail com>
To: "Mario Lang" <mlang delysid org>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] NVDA seen from an Orca-user perspective

Hi Mario,
I suggest that you compare with the latest snapshots of NVDA rather than
version 0.5.
You would be rather surprised.
I think NVDA is significantly faster, particularly on the web, because
of a DLL library that supports virtual buffer storage and retrieval.
It's hard to compare these two products because they rely on totally
different APIs and operating systems.

Mario Lang wrote:
Hi.

For various reasons I've had to use a Windows desktop for a few tasks recently, and decided to give NVDA (0.5) a try. In short, I was positively supprised.

To avoid getting too far off-topic, I am avoiding any NVDA propaganda. Its simple enough to find, install and use, no further introduction necessary. What I'd like to do though is look at it from the perspective of an Orca user.

In general, Orca feels much more complete, especially since it offers braille
support, which NVDA does not.
Both use espeak as a synthesis engine (while both have other options to choose
from).
Both do not work with login dialogs yet[1]. So you have to invoke them after
you login.  GNOME offers a nice built-in dialog to enable Orca (and other
assistive technologies) after login automatically.

But where NVDA is ahead is with language detection.  It doesn't make
sense to force the user to configure their synthesis language
if they already have installed their OS in a specific language, and therefore
its obvious what is going to be spoken most of the time.
This is something that would add to the ease of use of Orca as well.
If we would just use the language settings available to figure out
if such a voice can be used with the configured synthesis backend,
we'd make Orca more easy to use to people with first languages other
then english.

Another thing that I noticed is the main window design used by NVDA. It uses a menubar to make basic configuration tasks accessible, and has a read-only text editor window with very basic introductory text as well as a list of the most important key bindings as the main UI element. What that means is that you can get initial help when you launch your screen reader the first time very easily: just hit the arrow keys to go down line by line. This way, I got up and running with the most important key bindings (and the screen reading
concept employed) in NVDA in about 2 minutes.

While the Orca help button is going to be useful on its own level,
I think we should consider this neat idea of interactive first time user
introduction.

All in all, I think both projects have done a great job so far and have great
potential.  However, Orca is way ahead.  Thanks to everyone involved.

[1] While Orca is supposed to work with gdm, I never got it working, and know
nobody that had it working either.  Since NVDA can not run as a Windows
service yet, it does not even start during the login phase.