Re: [orca-list] NVDA seen from an Orca-user perspective

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:44:21AM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
This is something that would add to the ease of use of Orca as well.
If we would just use the language settings available to figure out
if such a voice can be used with the configured synthesis backend,
we'd make Orca more easy to use to people with first languages other
than english.

For speech, surely this depends on the much discussed issue of which back-end
to use: Gnome-speech, Speech Dispatcher, etc.

However, in general, I agree this is a desirable feature. If the user's locale
has been set, it should be easy to determine the default language. In fact,
this must already be done to give the proper translations of Orca's messages;
it just needs to propagate to the choice of spoken language and, possibly,
default braille table, if not overridden by the user's preferences.