Re: [orca-list] Links List - firefox extension

"Rich Caloggero" <rjc MIT EDU> writes:
suppose someone wanted to write a
keyboard navigation extension for Firefox to do better handling of caret
and structural navigation than we can do in Orca.  Do you have an idea
of how difficult/complex this might be and do you know of someone that
might want to do it (and get paid for it)?

Well, to some extent, FireVox implements this now:
http://firevox.clcworld.net/

  I haven't really used it extensively though, so don't know what its
shortcomings are.  However, it does not attempt to overload the arrow keys,
in fact it doesn't use them at all. I'd like to see smart use of arrow
keys - i.e. something that takes the best navigation from Orca and Jaws and
rolls them into one.

Firevox uses the arrow keys only within its menus, which you open by
holding control+shift and press a letter; or you do it by using the
"sticky key" feature.

I think the issues will be with the screen readers which use virtual
buffers - can we get them to move their point of regard consistently as we
shift mozilla's focus? I don't know. The rest seems pretty easy (famous last
words).

Why should users of Windows screen readers use your extension? They do the
very same as your extension and much much more; so it seems redundant to
install it. The same's to say for Firevox.
Such extensions are alternatives when not using Windows screen readers.

I'd love to do this (and get paid), but I want to investigate a few things
before I really commit.  I'm currently reworking linkslist into
headingslist, which will include next/previous heading commands. This will
attempt to shift focus from heading to heading, so will give me a pretty
good idea of how screen readers deal with this.  Stay tuned...

I hope you will place all features in one extension. It would be no good
idea to write an extension for every element.
Hermann

--
All peoples would live in peace, if they could give up only two things: God
and Country.