[orca-list] sysadmin help

Hello listers,
I'm new with Ubuntu/linux. The installation was a great success and
right now I run Ubuntu 8.04.1 and Orca 2.23.6.
I need your help for getting sysadmin accessibility. I did the
following: In /root I create a .orbitrc file and with the cat command I
see the 2 lines
ORBIIOPIPv4=1
and
ORBIIOPUNIX=0
and with the visudo command I add the line
Defaults env_keep+="GTK_MODULES"
With the chmod command the permission was set to 440
But still no access to e.g. sudo synaptic.
Did I miss something or do something wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Milton