Re: [orca-list] Using my internet connection in Ubuntu 8.04

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 05:17:18PM +0100, Chris Hallsworth wrote:
Hi all,
My laptop is connected to our internet connection via wireless. The
wireless uses WPA-PSK as its encryption. Does anyone know how I can do it
with the configuration outlined in the subject line? I prefer to do it

Erm, last time I checked, on debian, network-admin was broken, it would
work with wireless on wep, but would not allow wpa.
So you have to set it up with some configuration files, not sure if the
same works on ubuntu, so do:
sudo network-admin
And see if it works.
Otherwise you will need to edit /etc/network/interfaces and
/etc/wpa_suplicant/wpa_suplicant.conf
(install wpa_suplicant if you haven't already)
I can tell you what to add if you want to do it this way.
First see if your card is supported:
sudo iwlist scan
Does it print any results?
If not chances are your card doesn't work or you need a driver (a kernel
module)
What card do you have?
Personally, I just got an atheros off ebay for around au$10 and it works
great with the madwifi driver.

via Gnome if possible. If it involves logging in as root user, then I may
not bother, but I was curious anyhow. Thanks in advance for any help.

Why wouldn't you bother?
Root and orca is very easy to setup, look at the sysadmin topic on the
wiki.
But you basically edit /root/.orbitrc
and /etc/sudoers
with the visudo command.
You could also
export EDITOR = nano
or something.
Or:
chmod sudoers to 777
su -
login with password.
edit sudoers:
nano /etc/sudoers
then run chmod 440 on sudoers then restart gnome.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<d dalton iinet net au>