Re: [orca-list] Preparing orca installation for patch testing

Jason White <jason jasonjgw net> writes:
[...]
I currently have Orca installed from the Debian package. I also have a checked
out copy of the Subversion sources under my home directory that isn't being
used at the moment (except for reading source code when I need to).

Is it possible to switch between two separate installations of Orca on a
single system by modifying PATH and PYTHONPATH environment variables
appropriately? QipThe problem is
that I need to get work done on this machine, and therefore may have to switch
to a more stable version of Orca if there are problems with the svn version at
any point. If this can be done without re-installing, it would be more
convenient.

It is possible:
Provided you've installed Subversion and all its dependencies, and
provided you've downloaded the latest Orca from trunk, do the following:
Create a subfolder in your home directory in which you want to install the
testing copy.
Change to your Orca trunk folder, and make sure you are uptodate.
Then type:
./autogen.sh --prefix=[pathtoyourtestingdirectory]
make
sudo make install
Change to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin and create a symlink to the Orca
binary in your testing directory (you've to figure out where that is).
Give this link a different name, something like orcatesting.
Now you can run this link from withing the Gnome GUI.
To make sure that you always install this testing copy, repeate the
installation steps completely after every update.
Note: There's one thing I cannot explain by heart. You're using the same
config setting stored in ~/.orca. I think there is a way to avoid this,
either by specifying a different path in ./autogen.sh, or perhaps there's a startup parameter by Orca.
Apology, but I'm sitting at a non-Ubuntu machine, so can't figure this
out at the moment.
Hermann