To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:57 PM
Subject: [orca-list] Fw: XUL

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but it does relate to my
navigation extension. I got no response on the dev-accessibility list at
mozilla, so thought I'd post here.

I've been finding some weirdness in the way xul is handled. I'm not
sure where the problem lies: with firefox or screen reader.

The  nd most rellevant to my navigation extension development is the
fact that things seem to get very sluggish when dealing with xul listboxes
containing many elements.  See the test case at:
http://narita.mit.edu/ncam/firefox/xul/list.xul

This simply creates a list of 1400 elements and displays it. This is a large
list, but some pages (look at wikipedia's index pages) have many links, so
handling lists of this number of elements is necessary.  There are two
buttons, one just before the list and one just after to give the screen
reader something to focus on which is not the list.  They are dummy
placeholders and do nothing when clicked.

What I notice is:

focusing on the list and pressing down arrow - wait a long time before
the screen reader responds and reads next item
* I see this behavior with jaws, window-eyes, and NVDA under latest firefox.
Have not been able to test with orca yet.

Can anyone reproduce these results?  How does it act without a screen
reader?

Update: I just enlisted a sighted person to take a look, and she says that
the page is extremely slow.  Can anyone else verify this?

I did try an HTML page with many elements in Firefox and it works well.

Thanx much.
-- Rich