[orca-list] running speech-dispatcher

I have just downloaded Speech-dispatcher and it didn't stop speech like
it did a while ago when I mentioned a problem about it refusing to start
when it came up with something like "unable to start speech-dispatcher.
All I did was do sudo apt-get install speech-dispatcher.
How do I know if Speech-Dispatcher is running?
Is it good to go once apt has extracted the various dependencies needed
to use it or isn't it as simple as that?