Re: [orca-list] Orca and IDEs

Michael Whapples <mwhapples aim com> writes:

I wonder if anyone can suggest some IDEs which work well with orca.

Emacs, run from gnome-terminal, or much better, run with Emacspeak installed
if you use speech output.

Strange that, I seemed to be heading for the emacs answer anyway. I was
thinking of emacspeak in a text console, but I would like braille as
well (I don't know whether brltty in a text console will be as good as
from a screen reader which may do more intelegent processing of what to
display).

Brltty can be used much better in a text console. I use it all day long
and I'm satisfied to a maximum.
It cooperates with Emacspeak as well.
And BTW: You can use Speech-dispatcher as speech output of brltty.

What about speechd-el? Supposedly speechd-el supports brltty
as well as speech-dispatcher, but when I used it, it had some annoying
behaviours eg. brailling the words "blank line" when the line is blank
instead of showing a blank braille line.

It has its own braille interface, which you mustn't use, if you don't like
it. For more details please check out Speechd-el's manual:
info speechd-el

I keep intending to learn emacs, but I keep putting it off, may be I
just need to sit down and spend some time learning the few thousand key
presses.

Emacs has a menu too. If you use it all day long, you become familiar
with the keystrokes. And you really mustn't know them all by heart :-)
Hermann

--
Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.
(John Berger, contemporary British writer)