Re: [orca-list] can't start Orca

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Albert E. Sten-Clanton wrote:

Daniel and Jude, thanks for your replies.

I'm sorry to say that I tried the suggested instructions below but got nothing, at least, nothing I could use.  I note
that I got a beep right after entering the "gnome-terminal" command:  it didn't wait for the down-arrow.  In
fact, the down-arrow didn't cause a beep at that point, though it did after two uses of the alt-tab keys.  At no point
did I get orca talking.

Setting DISPLAY to :0 did not help, not even when I included the command in /etc/profile, so that it was set to this
after boot-up.  the command "echo $DISPLAY" gave me nothing before.  Since you wrote that it also gave you
nothing, but you apparently can use orca, maybe it doesn't matter.  But if it doesn't matter, of course, why have I
received error messages saying that it does?

Thanks again, though.  Of course, I welcome any other suggestions for solving this problem.  (I'm beginning
to fear that this is some quirk of my system, like whatever prevented me from installing FC6 from CD's but
didn't prevent installation from an image on the hard drive.)

Well when you hit down arrow and hear the beep. Press down arrow again to be sure your in the console... (Terminal)
Then Type:
orca
Or
orca -t

That's  all I can think to do. Not sure what else to try.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
d dalton iinet net au