Re: [orca-list] can't start Orca

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Albert E. Sten-Clanton wrote:

Greetings!

Hi,

I'm using Fedora 8.  I had the same trouble with Fedora 7; I didn't try Orca with an earlier version.

In a console, and of course with runlevel 5, I type "orca -t" and go through the setup choices.  When I hit the enter
key, though, I get "Cannot start Orca because it cannot connect to the Desktop.  Please make sure the DISPLAY environment
variable has been set."

What does
echo $DISPLAY
say?

I've tried logging in via gnome.  I can't tell if I actually am logging in, but something happens, since the
hard drive spins.  Pressing alt-f2, waiting, and typing orca (or Orca) does nothing, with or without the -t.

Hit alt f2
then wait a moment and type "gnome-terminal"
Then hit down arrow.
Do you hear a beep?
If not alt tab and hit down arrow again.
Hopefully it beeps somewhere when you hit down arrow.
This means your in a gnome-terminal.
Now try
orca -t

But orca -t should be really working from a standard console.
So this makes me think that X isn't working correctly...

I forget exactly how, but I was led to see if gdmsetup might help.  That command results only in the message
"(gdmsetup:2750):Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:".

Not sure.

I considered blaming my monitor or its connection to the computer, since nothing showed up on the screen
using either Fedora 7 or GRML.  (That's why I don't know if what happens is a login or not.) Also, though I
didn't find much on Google about the DISPLAY variable, one item seemed to concern a possible hardware
problem.  Still, I used the ubuntu 7.10 live cd, and Orca spoke fine.  I know of course that a new monitor's
likely in order, but that ubuntu works tells mt, even if this is part of my problem, there's more to it.

Ok well it shouldn't have much to do with your monitor.
I don't even have a monitor connected...
Although I did setup with the monitor connected to the right settings for my monitor.
But I doubt it is your monitor...

I did try setting the DISPLAY variable manually, using an example from one of my books and the one I got by
way of the set command while in a terminal in ubuntu.

Ok well if this helps mine is:

Actually echo $DISPLAY says nothing... Why?

I'll be grateful if somebody can tell me what I might do or where I might look for information to solve this
problem.  Thanks!

Hope some of this helps a little bit.
Sorry I don't really no much about this...

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
d dalton iinet net au