[orca-list] Firefox Live Region support change

Hey Everybody!

We've just checked in a major change to how Orca handles live regions. The new change gives Orca partial support for live regions that do not have ARIA markup. This is an exciting change because this greatly increases the number of real life web pages that we support. Orca live region support for http://finance.google.com and http://finance.yahoo.com is now quite good. In the coming weeks I will be focusing on adding additional support for the sports scoreboards at ESPN and CBS sports. I suggest visiting http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Firefox/LiveRegions if you are not familiar with live regions. Here you will find a brief explanation of live regions, the Orca keyboard commands associated with live region support, and several links to known live region containing web sites. Please feel free to add to the list of known web sites by editing the wiki or posting to this list. In addition, I would greatly appreciate any feedback about our live region support, including feature requests.

There are a couple of known issues:
1) Since there is no ARIA markup, determining what is and what is not a live region can be tricky because there is nothing to definitively tell us that an event is a live region change. We have set up an event filter for this purpose but it may not be fool proof. Please let us know if you come across a web site that announces more information than it use to. This indicates that some event was treated as a live region when in fact it was not. Please pay close attention to web sites that have widgets that build themselves dynamically.

2) Navigating a web page (eg. tabbing) is a bit sluggish when live region announcements are being made. We are aware of this and are trying to address it.

3) Moving to the last live region (key command 'y') may be out of sync with the announcement on very busy pages. We are trying to address this.

Have fun!
Scott