Re: [orca-list] Firefox Live Region support change

BTW - Many thanks to Scott for persevering with this work. This was a HARD patch to do with many revisions. Thanks, Scott!

Will

PS - Thanks also to the Mozilla Foundation, which funded this work. Open source kicks butt!

Scott Haeger wrote:
Hey Everybody!

We've just checked in a major change to how Orca handles live regions.
The new change gives Orca partial support for live regions that do not
have ARIA markup.  This is an exciting change because this greatly
increases the number of real life web pages that we support.  Orca live
region support for http://finance.google.com and
http://finance.yahoo.com is now quite good.  In the coming weeks I will
be focusing on adding additional support for the sports scoreboards at
ESPN and CBS sports.

I suggest visiting http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Firefox/LiveRegions if you
are not familiar with live regions.  Here you will find a brief
explanation of live regions, the Orca keyboard commands associated with
live region support, and several links to known live region containing
web sites.  Please feel free to add to the list of known web sites by
editing the wiki or posting to this list.  In addition, I would greatly
appreciate any feedback about our live region support, including feature
requests.

There are a couple of known issues:
1)  Since there is no ARIA markup, determining what is and what is not a
live region can be tricky because there is nothing to definitively tell
us that an event is a live region change.  We have set up an event
filter for this purpose but it may not be fool proof.  Please let us
know if you come across a web site that announces more information than
it use to.  This indicates that some event was treated as a live region
when in fact it was not.  Please pay close attention to web sites that
have widgets that build themselves dynamically.

2)  Navigating a web page (eg. tabbing) is a bit sluggish when live
region announcements are being made.  We are aware of this and are
trying to address it.

3)  Moving to the last live region (key command 'y') may be out of sync
with the announcement on very busy pages.  We are trying to address this.

Have fun!
Scott