Re: [orca-list] should test-speech speak?

Hi, Peter:

Some responses below.

Peter Rayner writes:
Janina Sajka writes:
First a reply to your previous question
the rpm command returns
gnome-speech-ibmtts-0.4.16-2.fc7spk

Good. This works, and is the latest that will build, actually.

One other issue ...

If emacspeak is currently interfaced to ttsynth, that will prevent other
apps from accessing it, unfortunately. You would need speech-dispatcher
to allow to get around that, but I'm not aware of an emacspeak
speech-dispatcher driver.
Yes, that seems to be the problem. Once I exited emacs
test-speech and, indeed, orca started to talk.  I never need to use
them both at once so I'll look for a workaround involving another
emacs speech server to "park" it when I'm trying to run orca.

This works for me with Speakup. It's annoying to have to do this, of
course.

The TTS engine in TTSynth, variously known as Viavoice, ibmtts, and
elsewhere as Eloquence, was written to talk to the oss audio engine in
the days when prevailing wisdom had it that audio events should queue.
Yes but I presume everything is working through alsa now.  I certainly
can have multiple instances of emacspeak running.  I'll investigate
further.

My guess is that your multiple emacspeak sessions are still using just
one driver for TTS.

And, while you can run through alsa, you're actually using alsa's oss
emmulator. So, you can have other audio events to the same alsa device,
but not other oss events. Even with alsa's oss, it seems blocking is
inevitable.

We do need better answers. It's on my todo list to work on building rpms
needed to run speech-dispatcher under Fedora. If/when we succeed at
that, I will certainly post about it to the lists.

thanks again

Anytime!

Janina

Peter

--

Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.202.595.7777;        sip:janina a11y org
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC      http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Chair, Open Accessibility       janina a11y org
Linux Foundation                http://a11y.org