[orca-list] Orca dies when loading it's preferences panel

Hi All

I have a Asus eee pc which I've installed the eeeXUbuntu Gutsy CD.  This is
a modified version of the Ubuntu Live CD giving the madwifi drivers and
power management stuff.  Tailored for the Asus eee PC.

After the install I couldn't get orca talking so I did a "apt-get install
gnome-orca" which pulled in about ten packages.
Now on boot, orca offers the welcome message but doesn't talk any more.  I
understand that the preferences panel is loaded and the gnome desktop is
functioning normally.  Where should I look to start tracking this problem?

I see in the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, the accessibility modules line was commented
out but by uncomment this line hasn't changed orca's behaviour of just
announcing "Welcome to orca".
Many thanks for your kind attention.